You may not have noticed it (but I suspect you have) that one of the ways of increasing the price of something is to give you less of it for the same price. Its been around for decades now and has acquired the (I thought well known) name of Shrinkflation. I recently bought some Tiramisu which comes in a glass "cup" again because I end up using the cups as drinking glasses. However when I picked them up in the supermarket I felt the cup was smaller ... it was, but cunningly smaller than I'd expected.
Below is a pair of pictures showing the new cup beside the old cup. The red marker shows where the smaller cup water level is and how that shapes up against the older one.
Then when I tipped that into the older cup its a lot less than half. The shape based on the sloped sides means that while the cup is just a bit smaller to look at, its less than half of what the older coup contained.
Cute.

No comments:
Post a Comment