Saturday 18 August 2018

Garlic

I love garlic in my cooking, but I'm not fond of peeling it.

Some years back I found that a couple of Fruit and Veg shops here sell garlic peeled and whole like this:


Its about $3 a punnet like that.

Of course if you're a restaurant this is great, but most of use "home users" without a vampire problem will never use this before it "goes off", however (perhaps because I'm a biochemist at heart) I came up with a solution ...

Olive oil and freezing.

So what I do is tip the cloves into a "zip seal bag" of sufficient size; tip in some olive oil (enough to have all of it covered but not "filling the bag") (important that).


Then pop that somewhere flat in the freezer; making it easy to break off the garlic as needed without thawing it.

The garlic does not "freeze to itself" in a lump because of the olive oil (and what could be more natural than using olive oil in garlic related cooking?).

Win Win

No comments: