Saturday 25 January 2020

Mercane Wide Wheel Disc Pads

Someone asked me if I could measure the brake pads on the Mercane Widewheel ... seemed a slightly strange request because if you had one you'd just measure them yourself. But it seemed like something to occupy 10 minutes, so I thought I'd post that here, and thus also have a reference myself for when that's needed (which isn't going to be any time soon looking at them).

Now I don't have the new 2020 model, so if the caliper is different, best pull them and see for yourself as its literally 5 minutes work. Its taken me twice as long to photograph and write this as it did to pull them out and look (well, and really, best pull them anyway if you're going to change them right?)

So this is the diameter of the pad back (steel)


and they're just held in with a magnet, so I just took them out with grabbing that tab with needle nose pliers and took them out.

Of course I had to wind back the outside pad to do that (but you'll need to be doing that anyway when you fit new pads (as well as the back one) because they'll have worn, and you'll have had to make adjustments over time if you still wanted your brakes to work right?

This is the amount of wear mine have had in over 6 months:


which is barely visible ... and the backing plate thickness is 1.5mm. Plenty of meat left there, and importantly showing nice regular wear (a good indicator of proper adjustment).

The pad in general looks like this from the front:


so no issues and generally in good condition all round.

Looking on ebay I found in about 3 minutes searching (key words were mtb disc pads) that they seem to be these:

TP-11C: 18.5 x 22.8mm/0.73 x 0.90"


So basically they cost nothing ... its beyond me why people carry on about using regen to save their brake pads ...

HTH

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Thank you very much. Didn't expect a blog post though๐Ÿ˜…. I found some for the xiaomi 365 pro which seems to have exactly the same dimensions, for just 1,5 aud plus shipping. And there are some different material mixtures as well which result in smoother braking, apparently ๐Ÿค”

Anyways:
Thank you very much!!!๐Ÿ‘Œ

obakesan said...

Unknown

no problems, was the easiest way to make sure that I answered the question in one go :-)

Down at this level of brake pads (its not racing stuff) I'd be surprised if there's any significant difference. The arguments over organics vs sintered metals are interesting and perhaps moot.. See the tail end of this post for details: https://cjeastwd.blogspot.com/2019/09/up-steep-bits.html

Best Wishes and you're welcome :-)