Monday 28 January 2019

solar roof top shading influence

I've wondered for a little while how much influence shading from Solar Panels will have on my roof (getting hot) in Summer. Then I realised that I had a small one already on the shed and perhaps that may be indicative ...


Expecting that it being so small that heat conduction (metals a good conductor) may not make it as obvious (spreading in from the outside). So I took my thermal camera and wandered down to have a look (in more or less midday sun).

Sorry about the blurry shot, but the phone wouldn't focus on the thermal camera (instead choosing the roof) ...


but blow me down if it didn't make itself clear with its heat signature! (note the visiblity of the black cable feeding down just right of the thermal camera). So I "froze" the screen for a better shot of the thermal camera (which isn't a recording type) to allow another photo with clearer readings.



Well the roof under middle of the panel is about 47°C while the rest of the roof is nearly 63°C

That's pretty good!

This means when I build my "workshop" (of similar colour bond steel) putting solar on the roof will not only give me energy but make it cooler inside as well.

A side effect of this has been to show how effective the gap I created between roof and walls being filled in with Shade Cloth is ... for that section is essentially quite cool (and allows in slow breezes and lets the heat from the roof out too.

win win

No comments: