So as this bike was a stock Japan Spec 1986 model I thought it would be straightforward to order a new part. I went to Yamaha (first mistake) and they confidently identified it and sourced a part for me from a local dealer with old stock.
It arrived and was too long. So I measured it and measured the old one from end to end of the sheath (which is what actually matters). I won't actually give that measurement and you'll see why soon. Below is the cable I had on the bike from purchase (used, and a Japanese import).
(Fig 1)
My measurement proved sort of worthless because nobody (and I mean nobody) knows the lengths of the cables they sell; they only talk in short, standard or long.
You are fucking kidding me right?
So which cable do I have as my starting cable which was perfect then the Yamaha one was clearly too long ... Hmmm ... its fucking irritating when people in engineering and technical roles speak in qualitative language not quantitative language. You know, like "how many do you want" ... a few. Gives them five ... ahh, no mate I'll need a lot more than that.
Knowing nothing I had to make some assumptions ... what sizes did I now have? So I took a punt and ordered the short from someone else.
So now with two new cables I know that Yamaha supplied me the "long" and someone else supplied the short and my original cable was the fucking standard cable.
FUCK ME DEAD
So you can see from te above tape measure that there is about 100mm between each of them. Giving us
- +100
- standard
- -100
So now you know.



No comments:
Post a Comment