Saturday 28 December 2019

scooters going fast (and why that's dangerous)

Many people seem to want to trade up their relatively safe scooter such as a Xiaomi or similar less than 500W scooter to a bigger more powerful one ... one that can "keep up with the traffic" as if that's an ideal or even desirable. Somehow they don't want to then step up to a motorcycle ... because that's expensive ... right? I'll have to get a licence ... I'll have to learn something

Well there are other costs in life than money, and you may just learn that the expensive and hard way - with costing you your health.

An interesting point which still surprises me is the utter denial of reality which many scooter owners on the various forums seem to have. Now I think its pretty clear from my blog that I happen to like scooters and use them a lot. However one things separates me from them: I accept that small wheels and even mild speeds do not go together.

Now there are many reasons for this but in this post I'll just go into one which should be obvious but seems to not be.  But first lets refresh the difference in wheel size and suspension between a motorcycle (which I recommend for any speeds over 30kmh) and a scooter (which I enjoy using at any speeds under 30kmh, but occasionally hit 40 in specific down hill runs)


you don't need a degree in Engineering to see the difference and even inserting a Zero 10 in that picture would barely change the facts. Not only is the motorcycle wheel huge in comparison (and this one is among the smallest) but has quad piston dual disc brakes which will allow amazing heat shedding power in comparison to the itty bitty 120mm or maybe 140mm disc on a scooter that has a front disc system. (and HINT: with telescopic fork designs don't hit the front brakes when you're about to hit an obstacle or you'll compress your suspension and make matters worse)

Next, lets look at this small stone:


not much to look at really, and could easily be obscured by other cars on the road around you or you miss it because you're looking at what a car is doing. But when you put it on the road (and you don't see it) it represents this sort of obstacle to a scooter:


Not only does that stone probably go close to requiring the full travel of the scooter suspension, not only does it have an enormous relative size, but it also puts the energy of impact (the red line) almost totally away from the useful working of the suspension (the blue line). Meaning that the suspension will not be able to do much to absorb the intial impact, only if you have penumatic tyres will you get any cushioning (and may actually pinch a tube too).

Now lets look at the motorbike wheel


not only is the rock barely significant, barely even compressing the tyre much (while it would probably result in a pinched tube on a Zero 10x or similar {and it'll be worse for smaller scooter wheels}), the shock of rolling over that is directly in line with how the telescopic forks compressallowing the suspension to exactly do what is needed.

You would not even notice this rock if your were riding at 40km on the motorcycle, but it would likely spit you off on any scooter (perhaps something with really big wheels with fat compliant tyres like the Hollyburn P5 would not).

So if after reading this you intend to keep kidding yourself that any scooter is OK at even 40kmh (people say that's slow) reflect on that experience at 80kmh (which the Zero 10x can do).

People used to call motorcycle riders "temporary Australians" ... I'd say more so for scooter riders who refuse to accept the limitations of their machines.

And I haven't even touched on stability over plain bumps or potholes or what is rake and trail yet ...

So, when doing your financial planning, ask yourself how much your injuries are worth in that economic balance.

PS: I found this well written review on the Zero 10x recently on Reddit and thought it should be shared, mainly because the fellow is well tempered and not just a High Speed Scooter Jihadi.

If you haven't read this good simple exploration I recommend it, allow me to quote the relevant portions on why a scooter is inherently more dangerous than a bicycle.


Smaller Electric Scooter Tires Have More Problems with Obstacles

Most electric scooters have tires measuring 6-8 inches in diameter. This is far smaller than the average bicycle tire of 25 inches. When encountering an obstacle the smaller tire (scooter) has a much harder time going over it.
The chart below shows the additional force needed by a scooter to overcome a step compared to a bicycle.  This graph was plotted assuming a 26″ bike wheel and 8″ scooter wheel. (see also)


Even for a 1 inch bump in the road, the scooter will need 50% more force to roll over it — and you’ll feel a much larger jolt.  An unexpected pothole is more likely to turn you into an acrobat with the smaller scooter tire.
And I hope that the following diagram makes totally clear why that energy rating is so, as while both wheels have to raise up 1 inch, the impact to forward momentum on the bicycle is quite different (look at where the obstacle is relative to the center of the wheel, most of the wheel is already past it on the bicycle, allowing the rest to roll over it, but not on the scooter.
This of course leads me to one last point: falling off

Speed matters

You see physics is a harsh mistress, and she has a few dictates, like Force = Mass times Speed squared. Your mass is a constant, so lets just work out the smack factor involved with just change of speed. Spreadsheets make this a simple task. So here I've got speed steps going up in 5kmh steps, and you can see that each speed step results in an ever enlarging smack factor.


So each step up of 10kmh nearly doubles the smack factor, stepping up from a "you can nearly run that fast" speed of 20kmh (or not yet 13mph) to 30 nearly doubles the smack (impact) force you'll experience and going up to 40kmh (which is just over 24mph, and soome people don't think is fast) takes you to over three times the forces.

The common answer is "slip on a full face skid lid" ... sure ... that may help a bit but won't help the other very significant parts of you




and last but not least, a guy I now ... all in one fall



So while dreaming about which cosplay helmet you want, think about "do you really want to go fast on a scooter?"

So buy any helmet you like but think about what happens.

5 comments:

StargazerLily54 said...

Excellent teaching points. Scooters weren’t meant for crazy a$$ speeds, but for kicking back and enjoying the out doors- and then caught on for inexpensive commuting - often referred to as the ‘last mile’ solution. As for keeping up with traffic, spend your energy in convincing communities into developing the necessary infrastructure for micro mobility- bikes, evokes, EUC, OneWheels etc. then we won’t have to compete with an iron box driven by a distracted person. When we ride, we gave to give it all of our attention- we don’t pretend to multitask.

Unknown said...

I am the Owner of a Zero 10X, I have upgraded from the zero 9 (which I was a big fan of). I needed a little more speed and stability. I am driving with full face Helmet (Ruroc) + gloves.

Last month I had an accident, on a 4x lane road on the way to work (in dual engine more) and at the speed of about 50km/h I have faced the following. When (on dual engine) switching from regular to Eco mode, both Engine brakes went active and from 50km I went to 0 in an instant, making me fly over the bike and landing flat on the road.

Note: I have in no case pressed the brakes

Luckily I was wearing a suit, gloves and helmet and the injuries were really minor (few scratches on the elbow and knee + a ruined Suit Jacket) but the experience shocked me. "You will never know when you will fall... but you sure will fall some day" and you better be geared up.

Since then I have faced the same issue few times when driving on dual engine On. I just release the accelerator rapidly and the engines brake by themselves dangerously.

I have informed the Reseller of my region and will send the escooter back to be checked. Controller issue?! No idea. I have as well set to "0"the Function 11 on the scooter but still.

Now, I do not play with the speed and only stick to Single Engine mode only.

Apparently, this issue on the Zero 10x is still not reported anywhere. So if you are planning to get an escooter be warned of the potential issue you might face with the Zero 10x

obakesan said...

Sorry to read of your accident.

I have written on the instabilities of the 10x and others in my blog

https://cjeastwd.blogspot.com/2020/04/steering-trail.html

Iankscorpio69 said...

I hit 57mph once on my gas scooter, and I thought to myself I should probably be wearing a helmet. I backed off. I had 10inch air tires on a good gtr 62cc. I once crashed on my hard tire hoped. Wheels are only 4; nches. I hit a sunk manhole lid in the dark going 20 mph. I hurt my coat bone going over the bars like. I don't ride full speed if it's that dark anymore. I was out to break the apples speed record but never did. I know how easy it is to crash a scooter. I still however want to go fast

obakesan said...

Lank, I ride motorcycles too (as you can see) and I would never suggest riding on the road without a helmet. I mostly use open face now because I like the feel, but do yourself a favor. Wear one on the motorbike (always find it amusing that americans call it Gas when its liquid) {yes I know its a shortening of gasoline, but why not use petrol?}