Sunday 7 March 2021

MX60 range expectations experiment

Well I last charged the MX60 on Thursday night, so it was "fresh" Friday. I did some "around town little blurts, but this morning decided to go for a quick saunter over to the next village


When I left it hat 61% showing on the battery. The battery is 1200Wh in capacity (claimed) and so if I assumed prior usages I should be able to get there and back. I returned with 38% on the dial. Now Li-ION batteries are quite linear in the middle of their discharge cycle so I can say that its reasonable to estimate this has consumed 23% of the 1200Wh : meaning 276Wh.

Rounding this trip to 22km that means my MX60 returned an economy of 12.5km per Wh or 1.2kWh/100km

This is pretty good, better than this test where I found 2.8kWh/100 and this test where I also got 2.8kWh/100km. I believe this comes from a few possibilities:

  1. the fact that I kept speeds on the flats to 25km/h, and only engaged power on the down hill (which was on tar not dirt) sufficient to keep speeds above 27km/h (wind resistance is an issue that gets bigger with speed)
  2. I only used the battery %-age  indication and it was a shorter trip.

So further research is needed, but it suggests that at these speeds 80km is possible.That's pretty good and I'm pretty pleased with that.

No comments: