Monday 12 June 2023

Does Pagani have AR on the inside surface of their crystal?

I recently bought a couple of Chinese Speedmaster "Homage" watches on Aliexpress. I started out with the Pagani PD-1701 (review here) and for various reasons had a try of the (more expensive) Phylida (comparison and review here) because it had the desirable ST1902 chronograph hand wound movement in it. The reasons are in those reviews.

However it became obvious to me that something was different in the visual of the Phylida watch as it had a more milky looking view to the face than the much higher contrast (black is black) version on the Pagani. I considered this for a while (see that comparison) and wasn't certain. However now I'm pretty certain that its that the PD-1701 actually has AR on the back of the crystal (best place for it if you ask me).



Basically AR coatings (Anti Reflective) reduce reflections from the surface and increase the transmission of light and thus increase contrast (white is whiter and black looks blacker). The source of reflections is because of the boundary (air to sapphire or indeed sapphire to air). So with an AR coating on the back side of the watch we get less reflections from our side back to us because of that other boundary being not reflective.

I recommend that you watch this video to explain it with demonstrating it.


(yes I flogged the thumbnail from it for use here).

I believe this explains why the PD-1701 only has the one reflection and the Phylida two. This would mean that the sellers of Pagani on Aliexpress don't know that whoever is making them has slipped in a change from just Sapphire to AR coated Sapphire or they don't know why they should sell this feature up.

Either way the face looks much nicer on the PD than on the Phylida. This only makes more more enthusiastic to replace the Phylida Sapphire crystal with an Acrylic (Hesalite) one and see what that looks like.

I'd be interested to hear alternative theories, but without taking the watch out of the case and inspecting the PD-1701 I can't really know.

No comments: