Tuesday 25 June 2019

Mercane Wide Wheel charging port

Just a quick post to show the charging port of the Mercan from the perspective of how its covered to prevent moisture and what type it is.

Basically it is a nice discreet flap made (based on how it feels) from some sort of silicon...


which opens up to reveal an XT60 connector. These are a high amp (60 actually) connector which are often liked for their ease of insertion and their gold plated terminals (see this thread for instance)


Note also the raised edge around the port and that it then sits inside that cover forming an excellent seal. I assume that unless you're a ham fisted dope that just rams it home this will provide excellent sealing for ages, actually looking at the inside edge of the plug it seems someone already had a go at just mashing it down.

I have found that its pretty clear when its seated properly but once you reaslise that rim goes into that groove around the seal and see that it seats, then its all good. After a couple of times using it I find it second nature.

Indeed I've left it just sitting there after unplugging plenty of times with zero apparent issue.

4 comments:

Ali Dalkus said...

I also like XT60, in some scooters they're still using cheap microphone ports.
Yesterday I noticed that my charging port's silicone cover is torn. As seen in the pictures
https://photos.app.goo.gl/teM48YiWWyKyNzRJ9
Do you happen to see somewhere if they are selling replacement for this part? I checked on Google and AliExpress couldn't find it.
Thanks

obakesan said...

Ali
I put silicon on mine to re-glue it ... has worked so far. I don't think its a big deal, but as it happens I've never seen a spare part.

Ali Dalkus said...

Yeah. Thanks. I will try. Maybe I can stitch it and it won't fall down.

obakesan said...

you need to be careful that the silicon does not get onto the "loop" at the top (I put a toothpick in there to keep it bulged out a bit.

Make sure it sits nicely (with the joins touching) then pull it back, run a thing bead of silicon along the edge fo the tear and let it sit for 24 hours.

Should be fine