Sunday 2 June 2019

Unconscionable components decisions make good products into junk

Back in 2009 I had this particular model of folding kick scooter for getting between office and train, it was great and I used it all lot even on weekends.


Having long since gotten rid of that scooter (changed countries, different needs) I came to find myself again in need of a scooter for a similar role. I was pleased to find the same (or almost) one still available for a reasonable price at a variety store in town.


Having had such a good run out of the last one I was pleased to find a new copy of my old friend. It didn't feel as "solid" as my last one, but it was at least well priced. However things were not so good for durability this time round and the scooter had a rear wheel bearing collapse in just 3 days.

WTF!

By two weeks the front wheel bearings were in a bad state, and on the verge of collapsing too.

I got new bearings off eBay for just 70¢ each. They press out and in easily but just make sure you press on the outer race if you haven't done this before when pressing the good one back in.




Makes me wonder just how many of these scooters became landfill in a week because of simply cheaping out on such a trivial part?

No comments: