Friday 26 July 2019

insignificant niggly shit that's gone wrong with my Wide Wheel

I thought I'd put together this page that I may update as more surfaces of the niggly details I have had from delivery with my two Mercane Wide Wheel Scooters

Lets start with the first one, the Single motor

Aside from there being missing screws in the base plate (which a text to the shop rectified, and they posted me them) I found that the side covers to the swing arms were loose, so as I was pulling out screws to loctite them (I strongly recommend this as otherwise you will loose some) I took them out of the side covers and examined why they were loose.

The reason turned out to be that the parts where the screws held them into the swing arm had shattered, and this was how it was on delivery. Luckilly the bits of plastic were all there and I was able to glue them together as seen below:


curiously though that pattern looks like this was actually 3D printed and indeed the crappy plastic makes me think it may have been ... it really is brittle plastic and while the accuracy of casting and fit is good, they just won't last as they are with this plastic. So I also used some silicon to assit holding (just a few bits around the inside of that plastic to hold but not make it impossible to remove)

Then move on to the second one, the Dual Motor

The grip area was covered with a bit of cardboard, and when I was peeling the tape off the kick board it just lifted a bit of paint off ...


So far it hasn't spread but I think this is shitty and indicative of a poor paint preparation (you can see the alloy underneath has not been etch primed before painting by the crystal shapes)

The dual motor too had some pre-broken swing arm cover mount points, but the plastic was different, more flexible. None the less I've siliconed them on too.

The grip area was not well applied (as visible above too) and I pressed out some bubbles with a roller and the standing on it (and sun) has ensured it sits well now.

So far that's been it for me, which all in all is not significant and for the price for what you get I'm totally comfortable with this, although I've read on the internet some other issues others have had.

Feel free to comment with your issues and links if you can to where you've written it up. Please note that this blog is moderated and so comments will not be published before I've reviewed them and comments containing nothing more than advertising or spam will be deleted. I don't do ads on my blog and so neither will others.

Best Wishes

No comments: