Saturday 6 February 2021

150 million lenses

 I read on DPReview this morning that Canon has now produced 150,000,000 lenses; which does not go back to the FD series, but starts with the EOS.

I must say that the FD series also deserves some credit as some of those designs were fabulous. The FD300f4 for instance is a budget priced lens which (once upon a time before mirrorless made it famous again) was a well priced long reach telephoto. I bought mine back in 2009 for under US$200 and its been a stout performer across 3 cameras


  • Panasonic G1 (pictured)
  • Panasonic GH1
  • Sony A7

This is just one of the many images I've taken with this lens (in this instance taken with the A7)


It of course has an even greater telephoto reach on a camera like my Panasonic (micro43) such as this shot from 2009


Congratulations Canon ... 

2 comments:

Lens Bubble said...

Many of the early EF lenses formulae were based on the FD design. The EF 200mm f1.8L which I LOVED, is one of them. Even by today's standards, the FD lenses are optically excellent, and mechanically superior to the EF lenses, me thinks.

Lens Bubble said...

Also, really like the landscape picture. It deserves a prominent spot on the wall.