Friday 11 November 2011

cunning apps for photographers

As a Palm Pilot user (and photographer) one of the first apps I loaded on my Palm was VadeMecum which helped a large format photographer with a number of handy tools such as calculating bellows draw exposure compensation, as well as DoF calculations.

Many of these functionalities (although not all) have found their way onto phones now (as the new PDA's) as well as some interesting ones.

Today I heard about this one:

The Photographer's Ephemeris



Which allows photographers to check out when the shadows will be in a place at at time.



In the past I used one on my palm pilot which simply showed where the sun or moon would be at any given time (it was a star chart) and you could sort it out for yourself.

Its sort of nice that the software systems we have now make it even easier to overlay maps of locations and this information for you, so you don't need to have a map of the area (or a compas with you) when planning things.

But you know, often we don't get the opportunity to plan, and have to make the most of what's there when we're there. So in situations where the sun isn't in exactly the right place ...
eborValley

you can use a few tools like HDRI to at least make the most of the lighting you have.

1 comment:

Charles Maclauchlan said...

In fact my very first iPhone App was one designed to show me sun and moon positions. As I can dial in any date I chose I can for instance determine when the sun will be in the position I want...or the moon. It's incredibly handy