Thursday 26 October 2017

a Quick trip to Mount Perry


a mate of mine was recently up (from here) at Mount Perry, and I thought: "what the hell" I'll go have a look.

I've never been there (although I've been all around it by about 100Km in any direction) and so I thought I'd share some of the experience.

So, after you turn off from the main road (A3) you eventually find yourself looking at dirt ...



with some creek crossings (which may be impassable when wet).

The township of Mt Perry is nestled in a tight valley:


This is from the Western side (looking East, in the late afternoon)

It turns out there is an interesting feature just near the town, a railway tunnel was dug when there as a brief mining boom. It was cut through a hill on the way to Gin Gin, but was never used as a railway. Instead now its a road.


So I took a trip out along there to see ...

There was some nice old country "Australiana" such as abandoned schools (with cows) ...


and some nice scenery.

Eventually I got to the tunnel (which you can drive through)


Here is a quick video of going into the tunnel mouth:

In the entrance there are swallows nesting ...


but further in (in about the middle) is a colony of bent wing bats.

Attempting to focus on this swirling mass of bats was essentially a fools errand, so I took one shot with a normal lens and hoped to freeze something with that.


Which I did ... you'll notice if you load this image some discreet red circles around bats in flight. This is from the middle right, and shows what I believe to be a pair of the "bent wing" bats and I believe too, a clutch of young huddled in the roof.



As mentioned, I recorded them with my audio recorder...so you can put on your headphones and enjoy the walk through the tunnel with me if you like:



I hope you enjoyed the small excursion.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very good