Sunday 26 April 2020

GoPro Hero 3+ mic wind muff

Wind noise on a GoPro is a PITA and I've had quite an amount of success with a few small mods on mine to cut down noise.

This weekend I decided to try to improve it both in function and aesthetic (because it was looking rather Frankenstein earlier). My solution is to put a tiny bit of foam over the small mic hole and in conjunction with that some bluetac to seal the places where the wind can get in under the black frame. Here's what it looks like now


The astute will notice I broke the frame on my last insert back in ... sigh

You can see that the foam is held down with a small amount of double sided tape, and a small bulge under the frame is created by the blue tac;  visible at the front (the previous solution was putting it all the way along the front).

Basically you make a small "sausage" with the blue-tac (like a 1mm diameter) and form a circle which will be larger than the frame hole (and of course not block the mic holes) and then put it into the frame and sandwich it down.


You can see there is a little gap in the top of the frame, but that'll subside over time as it squeezes down. (and you can see the crack of the broken frame ... sigh)

Oh, the bubble spirit level is pretty handy too ... that was like $5 for 10 of them on ebay. I'm still finding uses for them ...

So the materials list is:



  • a few mm of double sided tape (had that in the tool cupboard beside the Duct and Gaffa tape anyway, so no money spent)
  • some sponge from kitchen sponges (again, had that on hand under the kitchen sink, again n money spent)
  • some blue-tac (in the desk drawer another $Zero spend)
  • some time (nobody pays me on the weekends)

The pudding

So the proof of the pudding is in the ... well listening


not bad and not expensive.

Lastly, thanks to Jacob for this GoPro ... you're a legend!

And, I just discovered this is post #1000

#milestone

1 comment:

MrTinAZ said...

I'm going to have to try this on my Akaso Brave 6 Plus, my videos are good but the wind noise is too much. I was thinking about getting an external mic that goes inside helmet but I like this fix better.