Monday 4 January 2021

gaining weight

 I've never liked heavy watches and while I accept that for some specific roles a watch is a tool and that tool needs to be sturdy, very few of us actually need (dunno how many want) massive 300meter dive watches.

So I thought I'd explore how porky modern watches have become with this assortment


The SNK805 tips the scales at 61.5g


yet my beautiful 1965 Sportsman dress watch a mere 39g


Moving on to the more modern SPRE's with a metal band tips the scales at 123.5g (and this isn't my heaviest bracelet)


while its sibling in green with leather straps a much lighter (but still hefty) 71.3g


while my much more elderly 1979 model Sports 100 screw down crown semi-diver (which has been diving a bit) is 80.9g


which is pretty darn close (9g) to the SRPE with light weight leather pants on.

So to my mind watches are getting chunkier and heavier and (as I showed earlier) thicker. 

The thicker a watch is, the further out from the wrist it sits and the more you notice its weight.

I have no idea why this trend is, all I can think is that everyone is starting to just follow the fashion started by Rolex; making things bigger.  Sadly the Rolex classics (such as the Goldfinger Bond or the Col Kurtz Rolexes) are actually not as thick and chunky ... I have no idea why everyone is after these bricks, are they compensating?

Currently the watches I have which feel most comfortable to wear are the Sportsman, the SNK805 and most comfortable and balanced of all is the Sports 100.

No comments: