Tuesday 20 July 2021

why is the "NATO" popular?

This is a genuine question.

For years I just wore a watch; mechanical, quartz, training watch ... I occasionally bought straps or bands if they wore out. I never really put much thought into it.

My recent return to searching for and buying a watch revealed a new thing to me: the NATO phenomenon. I would never have even found out about it if the Seiko I bought didn't come with one.

Why does everyone love this piece of weird stuff? Its like a Solution looking for a Problem (which does not exist). Is it because "it sounds military"

The stated problem is "what if my spring bar breaks" ... well a simple strap would solve that, no need for the two thickness and keeper strap (which I usually cut off as discussed here).


The keeper isn't needed to hold the watch on the strap, unless you take it off, hold it by the buckle and whirl it around your head.

Then there is the idea about it being a Bond thing ... well, Bond never wore a NATO, until after the Bond NATO was established in the watch community

Is the only answer that its about this problem?


Applying Occams Razor I think this is probably it.

No comments: