Thursday 14 September 2023

King Wang Likes to Watch

As well as being about a purchase made and the weeks of anticipation in wait, this is a small rant about Wangers. This is perhaps a continuation of an idea I started here about social media and people who can't think but follow; magical thinkers (you know, wankers and narcissists).

Its been only a week since I ordered a watch on Ali which I'm keen to get, so this leads me to wonder how Wangers who buy into the Rolex dream can wait for 2 years for a watch that costs in the tens of thousands (not just the tens).

While looking around AliExpress I ended up getting "suggested" this watch by Ali


So its a quartz (not a mechanical) and sure looks like a direct copy of the Breitling Top Time to me.

Which makes me wonder about how the people who buy into Rolex feel about waiting for years "for the call" to say "your watch is now available. I mean sure Rolex is a quality brand, but is it in any way worth that cost (and I don't just mean the money)?

Let me be clear here: this watch is not a homage, it is a blatant knock-off and (for emphasis) I am not promoting or encouraging you to buy this; thus there is no link nor promotion of this watch here.

I also expect this watch to be complete shite, but even still, how could I resist. I mean if it actually presents OK and if it actually has a functioning chronograph mechanism ... I'm no calibre snob, so even though its quartz its worth examining. Not least because I don't know of any quartz movements which actually have a 30 minute sub dial counter (most have 60 minutes which makes reading the subdial vexing to say the least).

However it underscores why I like Chinese Watches and why I am personally against Rolex as a brand. Now, to be clear I don't care if others buy Rolex, people can do what they want, but my point is this:
When does it become somehow acceptable to force people to "prove their brand loyalty by making purchases of stuff they don't want, just so they can be put in the waiting list for what they do want. Lets forget about the fact that one has to pay tens of thousands for a watch of which the same quality could be had from a Chinese watch for one one hundredth of the price.

This video is worth watching:



I can only describe this fascination with Rolex as King Wang (or the Emperors New Clothes).

To me the King is Dead, long live the King ... King Wang 
...(chants go up of King Wang King Wang kingwangkingwangkingwankingwanking )

No comments: