Saturday 7 September 2019

Mercane brake cable sheath: repair and prevention

In my last post I identified that swingarm movement had caused some wear that broke through the outer plastic covering of the cable outer (sheath?) which will eventually lead to water ingres and rust, resulting in threading a new cable through ... being one to avoid pains in the arse by following "a stitch in time saves nine" adage I thought I'd nip this in the bud on both my scoots.


in closer the breach in the outer skin of the sheath is clearer (I mean that's how insignificant this is):


So basically my fix is this:

  • short length of 5mm nylon tube
  • apply a small amount of silicon sealant to the cable sheath where its breached
  • slide the tube over the cable and thread some of it down the neck of that aperture
This is what I used (cost $1.70)



This is how I did it and an explanation of what I did.



So pretty simple stuff and something I'd expect takes no more than 5 minutes to fix. Indeed I did it on my Dual Motor version (showing no sign of wear yet, perhaps as the single gets the most miles?) I did it in around 2 minutes. If I wasn't dividing my attention between checking camera screen and doing the job and talking about it it would have been under 2 minutes. So here is that video from start to finish:


No comments: