Sunday 10 November 2019

up and back

I went for a scoot this afternoon, up to Queen Mary Falls and back.

regen question?

I was also interested to explore regen a bit so I had that in my mind on this up and back trip. First observation was that that it uses relatively little of the battery climbing hills (of course the distance was only 4.5km. But to me the trip reveals how little I'd get back on regen braking, even on that mountain descent, because simply put: I don't even feel inclined to use the brakes.

Had I used the brakes somewhat then it would have been quite the boring descent in comparison.

Trip was only 9km, and you can see from this how the turn around point is much shorter than half the time .. so even any imagined recharging time would be less than the discharging time. Even shorter if I wanted to keep my speeds as I did.


Obviously because I am going faster the duration of (time taken to cover) that distance is less time than the climb. So in reality even on a really steep hill I'll get "stuff all" back from regen (BTW the hill elevation looks like its a higher slope because I've put it on duration not distance too). It's impressive how the speed on the way up was so stable, despite hill slope changes made clear on the descent.

Right near the bottom of the hill I had a "close encounter" with (what I think is) a wren.


For those who may not have watched the whole thing, I managed to edit together this, the point where the small bird (probably a wren) flew out and collided with me (gently)



I hope you enjoy the trip as much as I did ...

3 comments:

Unknown said...

How are you finding the MX60 after owning it for sometime? I'm thinking of buying one.

Unknown said...

Hows the MX60?

obakesan said...

A poignant question, as I've had my Widewheel on loan to someone thinking of buying one for a few weeks now, forcing me to ride the MX60

I would say that its lived up to the expectations I had on it when I bought it. Its comfortable, its effective and I like the brakes.

It is however a bit short in the deck, which I think is good for learners; it stops them from "crowding the bar".

I should probably do another youtube review of it (which I've been thinking of).