Tuesday 7 December 2021

buckle down

For some time now I've been wearing my watch strap with the buckle down as you hold the watch, some people would call this at the 6 o'clock position.

A bit of searching found this well written and succinct article, which I will quote here (but here is the URL to go to the authors page):

So I write this, both as a stylist and a professional photographer. One of my sponsors asked me why I'm constantly switching my straps around in my photos, repositioning the buckled strap on the bottom of the watch, rather than at the top. 

For as long as I can remember, my super stylish grandfather did this and one time I asked him why, this is a paraphrasing of what he said to me. Let me know if you agree and if not, why not! 

The correct orientation for the buckle of a strapped watch is hanging from the '6-Oclock' or 'lower' lugs . 99% of makers incorrectly position the buckle at the '12-Oclock' lugs so when worn, the 'tag' end protrudes towards the "audience" . This is as rude as showing someone the sole of your shoe, and is incorrect form for strap watches in addition to actually contributing to tag- end snagging on all manner of impediments. 

Furthermore, when positioned with the buckle trailing the '6-Oclock' (as shown) the buckle is properly 'presented' to the admiring audience as the wearer twists his wrist to read the time, and if present, a signed buckle is displayed for all to see, as a measure of prideful branding. 

I wear ALL my strapped watches, other than deployment buckled ones this way. How or why on earth so many makers mount the buckles on the wrong end is beyond me.

I guess you can see what he means ... 



using my SRPE62K1 on its original NATO to demonstrate the point, (which I never wear because I now far prefer the pointless short strap cut off and leather straps made from NATO) shows he was correct on every point.

I wear it this way on all my watches NATO or not.

No comments: