Saturday 25 April 2020

what's the fastest speed the Widewheel can do?

Some people just love to believe their scooter is fast (its just King Wang if you ask me), but what's worse is that on a scooter with no speedo people claim all sorts of things implicitly in making statements like "for a scooter which can do 40mph" which is of  course nothing more than a resellers claim to suck the kiddies in.

The reality that I've found is that 43kmh in ludicrous mode is the maximum, and that's even giving it grace on a gentle downhill. So today I thought I'd settle it with actually making a point of having a fully charged battery, driving to the top of the hill and from "fresh off the charger" let it run down the hill with the throttle locked on in ludicrous mode.



So you can see that on a road where its pretty consistently steep it got up to 46 kmh.

For Shits-n-Giggles I repeated it more or less with just gravity (and a little bit of help to get started)


So basically this clarifies that in no way is more than 44kmh possible on a flat (even with a little tail wind), which for the American readers that's a smidge over 27 miles per hour. Nothing like 40mph.

Now I mentioned during the video that every electric motor will have a maximum speed, part of that is determined by voltage. Because as the motor spins faster it provides more back EMF acting against the battery. Eventually you'll reach a point where they're in balance, as you saw in the voltage meter where it was just sitting on 54.0V

Lastly here is the video  made during this GPS gathering:


Conclusion

This should not come as any surprise, because even if you jump out of a plane there is a top speed you'll reach. To get more speed will require more power.

Anyway, this is pretty rigours and avoids any of the heavy duty wanking that juveniles are prone to. As I've said before, this is a great scoot and its a lot of fun, but please, keep it real. Leave the Kool-Aid back on the shelf.

Just the Facts Ma'am.




3 comments:

Ali Dalkus said...

Another nice post and good points. I believe 40-45 km/h is more than enough to have a safe ride. After that will be less safe. Last time my GPS (Endomondo) recorded some absurd result-57km/h- which I believe it's not correct as the max speed I saw in Widewheel Pro was 46(with a slight downhill). https://photos.app.goo.gl/VZ3ox8JiWV2aXBe88
What app. do you use? From your screens I think you have a more reliable application.
Thanks

obakesan said...

Thanks for your kind remark.

I use fundamently 2 apps for speed, this one for just a display (and I also use it in the car a bit too)

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.chartcross.gpstest

but I prefer the logging one for most of my runs (because I don't want to be staring at my GPS)
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ilyabogdanovich.geotracker

it has a lot of nice features, but you need to explore it yourself because documentation is scant.

Ali Dalkus said...

Thanks a lot, Geo tracker seems to be good. I will us it on my next ride. I was already tired of Endomondo as it was doing a lot of mistakes. Used to have it back to a few years ago for the biking.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/tkm5VM6ykrfcrA8o8