Thursday 2 April 2020

Widewheel dual commute to work

Normally I throw the 500W Single in my truck to use in the city, but I decided to lend that to a mate as I now have the MX60 (and 3 scooters  at home is ludicrous). For some reason don't have data  this trip on the 500W model, but I recall it wasn't much different to the trip to the shops just across the road which was about 20min (and that trip is a bit longer with some more curves and lights).

So, to refresh, my course is this one:


Method

I decided to do a run with it on unrestricted mode, and to moderate the power using the throttle and cruise control. This is actually difficult (and I don't normally do it) because every little bump makes it hard to hold the throttle steady for the required 7 seconds. However on (even mild) down hills I can just push it down all the way, making engaging cruise control easier, and not worry about the hard hitting power drain because the higher speeds balance out the maximum amps it can suck with higher back EMF.

There are a few smooth patches of cycle path where I was able to cruise on what I know by feel to be above the "restricted max" speed, but looking at the voltage drop (because of load) am able to pick a speed that's not too punishing on the battery.

So the stats for the trip are like this:


and its pretty simple to see where the steep up hills are (and I can notice the reduced time I was going slower and the increased speed on those). The downhills are pretty clear. The trip is mostly a gentle uphill as you can see in the elevation.

Maximum speed for such short durations really isn't significant and if anything I think what matters is that but the average speed (and average speed moving) are pretty good. I only had to stop twice, for roundabouts and intersections.

This is the same run but just keeping the normal restrictions and using Power mode:



The Dual does make this trip a bit shorter as its typically 18 minutes, so I shaved 5 off. Which in the greater scheme of things isn't such a big deal, but it is a bit nicer just to be swishing along that little bit faster. Were there more places with intersections (with lights) I'd probably see even less difference in point to point times.

I have serious doubts about wanting to take my MX60 here because the bloody thing weighs too much to hump in and out of the wagon and in reality would probably only shave another 3 or so minutes off the trip.

So there you go. Again the Widewheel dual motor is shaping up as a nice sweet spot for commuting under 10km each way.

No comments: