Friday 10 April 2020

Mercane Dualie Range Testing

A lot is written by people on forums about how charging up to 100%  is somehow harming your battery. I've got posts on that subject recently here. Basically my answer has always been simply: no.

So since I've had my 1000W Dual Motor Widewheel I've basically always charged it to 100%, and usually discharged it to between 50% and occasionally fairly deeply before recharging it. I'm a big fan of evidence and if this fluff idea held any real world water one would expect to actually see such losses.

To actually answer this question I thought I'd take the scooter out for a run to see how it went. This is that run GPS data:


Now as it happens you can add another 1.5km onto that because I went over to visit a mate this morning on it (up a hill most of the way), meaning at least 25km traveled,  and when I got back the Voltage was still over 45V under load and settled to 47V as soon as I stopped and unloaded the battery. This indicates it had a bit more up its sleeve.

Charging has yielded the "consumption" of 387Wh (based on the 150A meter measuring input to saturation) which means that 25km consuming 387Wh = 16.4Wh/km or 1.5kWh per 100km (or pretty much what I observed here).

Now this is under "full power mode" and with (as you see) some hill climbing too (so not just perfectly smooth flat pavement) and if you watch the video of segments of the ride you'll see with a head wind much of the way as well.


When you consider that since I've had it its been recharged between 2 and 3 times per week since I've owned it (so for about 10 months) and returned at least this result on this , this, and this occasion then I think that IFF there is any loss its only found on bench test equipment.

This to me suggests to stop worrying about pointless shit and just ride your scooter.

My observations are that spending that time on actually servicing and inspecting the scooter will make a shit ton more use in extending the life of your scooter.

I look forward in any comments to a rigorous and detailed real world demonstration of evidence to the contrary.

So The King is Dead ... long live The King

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi mate I'm looking to buy the new widewheel pro and I want to ask you a few questions please.
I'm from UK and I just want this scooter for work and fun rides
Sorry to mesage you there I can't find any other contact details

obakesan said...

Hi
you asked the same on youtube, and I gave you a link to my blog (here) where pretty much everthing you may want to ask is here.

however if you'd ask questions it would make it easier to answer them.

Unknown said...

How are the tires holding up?
What type is the battery?pouch or cylindrical (18650)

I will pop questions as they come to me

Unknown said...

Are the motors controlled by 1 or 2 separate controllers?

obakesan said...

Hi
you really should take some time to read my blog ... on a computer

I don't know of any scooter (perhaps the boosted Rev) which uses pouch cells, they're all 18650 cells (see this pull down of my 500W Single Motor's battery pack https://cjeastwd.blogspot.com/2020/02/mercane-pack-repair.html )

tyres are almost perfectly new. I did an earlier blog post where I anticipated at least 3000km from them based on a number of factors. I guess that I've done something like 1500km so far on my scoots

To my knowledge every dual motor scooter has dual controllers.